Wednesday, August 31, 2011

Mad About Mile High

Well, it's official!  I'm back to being a Colorado resident, and it feels good.  Less humidity, thinner air, glorious mountains....ahhhh, I'm home!  It's been so good to see friends and hang out with my family and not think "well, I better make the most of it since it will probably be a year or so until I see them again."

So far so good, I've done all of the unpacking in the apartment, and we are in the process of hanging our artwork and shopping for some more decor.  Even though the apartment is MUCH smaller than our house (thank you again, Mom and Dad for letting Rob and I store our extra crap in a spare bedroom!), we have much more wall space. 

The past two days have been devoted, and I mean DEVOTED to me officially becoming a resident by getting a Colorado license and registering the Saturn.  Yesterday, I found the DMV and patiently waited for number "D 803" to be called.  Luckily I had a book, because I waited about an hour or so.  When my number came up, I hurried to the counter. 
"Have you ever been issued a Colorado ID?" 
"Why yes, I used to live in Colorado a little over five years ago, and I am so happy to be back!  But it was when I went by my maiden name." 
"Oh.  Well, do you have your marriage license?"
"Well, no.  My current license (and my past 2!) is in my married name.  It didn't even cross my mind that I would need it."
"Well you do!  If you can make it back here before noon with the certificate, you don't have to wait in line, and I'll finish processing the license for you."
Great!  Just freaking great.  So I hopped in the car and sped home and back to the DMV with 20 minutes to spare.  Of course I had to wait until noon because the woman was with someone else, and then the woman asked someone else who worked there to start all over with me because it was time for her lunch break.  Yay.  After all of this nonsense, I finally finished up, only to receive a temporary paper license!  Come on, Colorado!  I want my plastic in hand! 

Today was an even bigger adventure.  I first went to get my emissions test in a part of town where everything was in Spanish, luckily my Garmin helped navigate.  After passing (woo hoo!)  I then went all the way back to the DMV to register the car, (with my marriage license, just in case!) only to be told that I had to go to a different office to register.  After I found the little hole-in-the-wall in a a strip mall, i took a number and waited.  Again. 
"Do you have your VIN sheet?"
"My what?  My VIN number is listed right there on the emissions test."
"I know, but a dealership owner or an emissions tester needs to sign this sheet for you."
Sigh.  "Well, is there a place closer than the emissions center that can help me out?"
I was directed to a place a few blocks away where the scariest looking dealership guy ever said he could help me.
"Who sent you over here?  Was it Sharon?"
"Um, I'm not sure."
"Tall and slender lookin'?"
(All of the workers were sitting down) "Um, she had brown curly hair..."
"And was she slender?  She's the only one there that's slender.  She's my little girlfriend."
(Nervous laughter) "Oh.  Um, yeah, it must have been her!"
"Kath-Er-In-Swar-EZ?  Hmm.  You don't look Spanish."
"Well, um, I'm not.  But yep, that's me!"
After fifteen very uncomfortable minutes or so, I left with my VIN sheet and went back to the registration office, and a little while later, I left with my brand spankin' new Colorado license plates. 

Phew!  I'm crossing off my to-do list, and moving towards a state of stability.  I can't wait to be settled in back to some normalcy - hopefully the house will sell soon too! 

Until next time!

Kate Suarez:  Non-Spanish Colorado resident!

No comments:

Post a Comment