Thursday, October 20, 2011

It's the Most Wonderful Time of the Year

Yes.  It's that special time of year again... blood spatters, ghosts howling in the night, full moons rising... I love Halloween!  Candy, costumes, scary stories, haunted houses - what's not to love?  I am also really enjoying the feel of Fall in the air.  I can almost taste a warm apple cider doughnut.  While I have absolutely nothing against Christmastime (my second favorite time of year), I have to say, there isn't a more beautiful season than Fall.  I love the leaves, the crisp air, the colors, the ceremonious bringing out of the blankets, I just can't get enough of it.  And while Christmastime is often thought of as the season of brotherhood, friendship, family, good will toward men, I think that Fall is really when people start thinking about this.  Can you imagine trick-or-treating by yourself?  Apple picking without nieces and nephews?  Cuddling under a blanket without your sweetie?   

Since moving back to Colorado, I haven't had one weekend that didn't involve something amazing and fun with friends and family.  We've had an August Fest party, a Walking Dead Premiere party, I've been out dancing with my girls, I've been to a beautiful wedding, I've sadly said goodbye to a dear friend before she moves.  Even though I'm definitely missing my kiddos at my old school, and I'm at the point where I really want a job - something to keep me occupied throughout the days - I couldn't be happier about moving back to Colorado, and reconnecting with old friends and being so close to my family again.  My mom has come up to have lunch with me a couple times, and every time she comes in for a hug when it's time to leave, she has this look on her face like she's about to cry, and then instantaneously it changes to a great big smile, and she exclaims "Oh!  I forget I'm not having to wait six months before the next time I have lunch with you!  I'm so happy you're back."

I have so many things to look forward to in the next few weeks too: birthday dinner crepes (oui, oui), game night, pre-Thanksgiving party, brunch, Thanksgiving in Vegas...not to be too cheesy, but life is pretty sweet.  I have a great group of people around me, and I haven't been this happy in a long time. 

I think one of the most important things, ok let me rephrase that, THE most important thing you can have in life is a strong support system.  Family that will always be there for you.  Friends that would drop everything they are doing and come see you just because you need them.  Friends that you can go for months without keeping in touch with, and then pick up with again as if no time has passed.  It's weird.  Sometimes when I feel that I am at my most happy, thinking about how great of a support system I have, I think about friends that have left us.  How alone they must have felt.  How much I wish that I could have been a stronger part of that support system.  I think it is so important to show your friends and your family how much they mean to you.  While I know that there are so many other things going on in a person's life before they make that terrible decision, I think it is still important to let your friends and family know how much they mean to you.  I don't know what I would do without mine - they are the BEST!

On the lighter side - I freaking love Halloween.  I really hope that I will have an occasion to wear a Halloween costume - no plans as of yet.  But don't worry, I have been watching scary movies, eating more Halloween candy than any human should, and decorating my tiny apartment as best as I can.  I'm looking forward to more fun, and I wish you all a great Fall kick-off!  Hug your friends and family!

Kate Suarez, zombie?  vampire?  ghost? 

No comments:

Post a Comment